Caregiver, are you stressed?
Today’s quick post is a short reminder of several concepts we have touched on before. To read more ideas about stress relief, please click our menu and look at our categories.
One caregiver’s story:
“I can’t do this anymore.” Julie was crying as she sat across from me. Her eyes had bags under them, her shirt was stained, and her hands were shaking. “I can’t sleep, I don’t enjoy any aspect of life, and my mind is so foggy that I can barely think. There is no such thing as relaxation, joy, peace, or hope anymore.”
We have all heard the statistics that stress is on the rise and we know that stress can negatively affect our physical bodies. Are there any easy solutions to help you during a stressful situation? Yes!
Try these 10 ideas for relieving stress:
- Look up a good joke or watch a funny, quick skit.
- Count to 10.
- Try a peppermint- they supposedly enhance alertness.
- Smile, even if you fake it. Smiling helps relax the muscles around your eyes and tension in your head.
- Find a scent that you like that simultaneously enhances your mood.
- Play a safe practical joke. Building a good memory, over the currently negative one, can set you on the path to peace.
- Breathe deeply. Focus on your inhalation and exhalation.
- Try warm chamomile tea or a hot bath/ shower.
- Stretch your tense muscles.
- Do something nice for someone else- a compliment or a text will work if you are short on time.
Stay tuned for more stress relieving ideas:
In future posts, I will describe how I utilized some of the techniques on this list. As always, make sure you consult professional help if you feel you are going to hurt yourself or someone else.
For now, I want to challenge you to try one of the ideas from above, or create your own list of “go to” stress relieving techniques. I would love to hear your ideas… and your favorite jokes too! Caregiver, what are your thoughts about unwinding in the moments of chaos and frustration?