Are you anxious? Do you struggle with anxiety? Please read on.
Tips to reduce anxiety-
We have several posts about stress. Please look around the menu and the categories for those posts. Today we look specifically at anxiety.
Before we look at natural anxiety reduction techniques, consider these first four ideas.
Seek outside help for anxiety-
- Leave the anxiety producing situation if you can
- Speak with a counselor
- Consult your doctor
- Engage in a support group
Coping mechanisms for anxiety:
If you cannot physically remove yourself from the anxiety-producing situation:
Always consult professionals first, like your doctor and counselor. Next, come up with a list of coping mechanisms for yourself. There are times when you will not be able to go see your doctor immediately. If you are experiencing anxiety, try the following 32 ideas.
32 ideas for defusing anxiety:
- Try going outside, just for a moment, if you cannot get away for a lengthy period of time
- Take a nap
- Recognize that worry is not the truth- anxiety is the result of perceived threats, which may or may not occur
- Pet an animal
- Take a bath or a warm shower to relax
Click here to read about a relaxing detox bath recipe.
- Fixate your mind on something other than the anxiety producing situation
- Write in your gratitude journal
Click here for a list of 10 positive affirmations you can make each day.
- Massage your hand, to activate oxytocin
- Drop shoulders, then roll your neck from side to side
- Avoid people-pleasing (stop doing everything others ask of you)
- Deep breathe
For a list of breathing exercises, click here.
- Ask yourself if you are catastrophizing (making a bigger deal out of the situation than it warrants)
- Remind yourself of other times, in the past, when you made a big deal out of something that was not as catastrophic as you assumed
- Realize that you do not have control over the world- recite the serenity prayer to help with your lack of control
- Think about the things that you are currently thankful for
Click here to read about making a gratitude box.
- Do something productive, that will make you feel as though you accomplished something
- Practice forgiveness- forgive the people who cause your anxiety and forgive yourself for having anxiety
- Tell yourself that you are worthy of love, even though you are anxious
- Remind yourself that you do not know all of the motives of the other people who are involved
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Think of a way you can reward yourself when the anxiety producing situation is over
To read about rewarding yourself, click here.
- Do not allow yourself to have idle time, which can produce worrisome thoughts
- Ask a friend how they handle stressful situations
- Keep your essential oils nearby
We have several posts about essential oils. For one of those posts, click here.
- Solicit the opinion of a trusted friend about whether your situation is as nerve-wracking as you perceive it to be- listen for the truth, not just the words you want to hear
- Do not judge yourself too harshly- be patient with yourself and work on coping mechanisms for the future
- Relax with a calming cup of tea
To read about calming teas, click here.
- Sort out your thinking like you would sort junk mail- throw away the thoughts that are not helpful
- Never stay in an environment where your physical safety is threatened
- Calmly think through what the worst case scenario might be and come up with three action steps you can take- knowledge is power
- Do not deny your negative feelings, instead work toward building supportive relationships to help you manage them
- Practice positive thinking instead of envisioning the worst
Spread the word:
Do you know someone who could benefit from today’s post? Please share any of our posts on your Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and other social media via the social share buttons we have included for your convenience.
Our email list is available for anyone who would like to receive the latest posts in their inbox. We will not overwhelm your inbox. You may cancel your subscription anytime you would like to, and your address will never be sold or sent to a third party.
To return to the main screen, click here.